Your knees and elbows seem to be darker than the rest of your body? Then you might need a quick treatment to banish the dark spots. Indeed, as one of the most used body parts, these areas seem to suffer due to dryness and friction. Find out some homemade solutions to give back the natural color to your knees and elbows.
What do we know about the skin around knees and elbows?
It is usually thicker than its surroundings and has more folds, is rough and dry and appears to be dirty even though the part may have been covered like full sleeved clothes and jeans. The skin is at least a tone darker than the original skin color. It looks ugly and never seems to restore to its original state.
Why is the skin dark?
Have you seen a baby with dark elbows and knees? No, obviously. It is the result of friction like leaning on the elbows or knees which causes the maximum problem. In schools, we are supposed to sit on the ground or participate in sports an activity which causes the knee skin to grow drier. And, of course, due to our bad habits, we seem to lean on our elbows rather than sit straight and keep a good posture. The other cause is lack of hygiene and improper care. So, your affected areas need more care now on.
Eliminating the dead cells should enjoy central importance in our skin care. However, it seems that the least appreciated spots as elbows and the knees are always left out. In fact, these are the skin sections of our body that store a multitude of dead tissues and tend to darken due to this factor. In order to prevent the discoloration of the skin it is advisable to pay special attention to less visible spots too. Including the thorough exfoliation into our skin care routine is the password towards banishing these dark spots.
If the drama already happened and you have your knees and elbows already stained, experiment with mild skin lightening. Skin bleaching, especially when prepared of organic ingredients can give back the natural tone to the affected areas. Follow the instructions and the recipes carefully for a quick and efficient result.
Let me share some general tips:-
1. A daily scrub for 2-3 minutes can help remove all the external dirt and also increase blood circulation in these often neglected parts of your body.
2. Moisturize your elbows and knees as regularly as you moisturize your lips
3. It takes about 15-20 minutes for any sunscreen to give out complete protection, so apply it on your knees and elbows at least 20 minutes before stepping out in the sun.
4. Use pigment lightener Take a vitamin A-rich diet, as it aids in protecting skin from the sun’s harmful UV rays. It is found in abundance in beetroot, carrots and watermelons.
Homemade remedies for dark keens and elbows:-
1. Rub some lemon juice on your elbows and knees and leave for 10-15 minutes daily.
2. Soak a towel in hot water and scrub firmly.
3. Mix 1 tsp coconut oil with ½ a tsp of lime juice. Apply on your elbows and knees and wipe it away with a hot towel.
4. Apply a mixture of 2 tsp olive oil and 1 tsp sugar to your elbows, and allow it to dry. Rub it clean with a towel. It acts as an exfoliator.
5. Take 2 tsp of yogurt and add some almond powder to it. Apply on the affected areas. Once the mixture dries, rub it clean.
6. Applying coconut oil or almond oil is also beneficial as they are best oils for curing dry skin.
7. Another great remedy which surely works is milk cream. Mix milk cream with a pinch of turmeric and apply on the affected areas.
8. Aloe Vera (straight from the plant) also shows lightening of the skin.
9. Sesame oil is great for moisturizing such areas as it has especially high proportion of essential fatty acids.
10. Massage the areas with warm oil daily. That will make the skin soft.
11. Coconut oil and Walnut powder make good exfoliators for dark skin patches.
12. Tomato juice or pomegranate juice with honey or oils. Mix all the ingredients and apply on knees and elbows leave for 15 min then wash it you can use this mask daily.
13. Mustard oil that can be also used as a remedy to fight dark spots. Simply massage it into the skin so that it will absorb the essential nutrients and will gradually regenerate eliminating dead cells. Go on with the treatment for 5-10 minutes then finally rinse it off with lukewarm water. Try to include this ritual in your daily or weekly beauty schedule.
14. Make a paste of gram flour (besan), a pinch of turmeric powder and lemon juice. Apply on elbows and knees leave for 10 – 15 min then wash it.
15. Apply a heavy moisturizer on your legs and arms. They are, generally, the driest parts of the body even if your skin type is oily. Keep the elbows and knees moisturized.